Overview of Voglibose + Metformin Tablets:
VOGLIBON-M Tablets contains a combination of Voglibose and Metformin. The Fixed Dose Combination (FDC) of Voglibose and Metformin has a synergistic effect in Diabetes Mellitus.
- For adequate glycemic control in Type II Diabetes Mellitus.
- For lowering post-prandial blood glucose levels thereby reducing the risk of macrovascular complications.
Voglibose reduces intestinal absorption of starch, dextrin, and disaccharides by inhibiting the action of α-glucosidase in the intestinal brush border. Inhibition of this enzyme halts the decomposition of disaccharides into monosaccharides and slows the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. α-glucosidase inhibitors do not stimulate insulin release and therefore do not result in hypoglycemia.
Metformin is a biguanide with antihyperglycemic effects, lowering both basal and postprandial plasma glucose. It does not stimulate insulin secretion and therefore does not produce hypoglycemia.
Metformin may act via 3 mechanisms:
● By reducing hepatic glucose production through inhibition of gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis.
● By increasing insulin sensitivity in muscle, improving peripheral glucose uptake and utilization.
● By delaying intestinal glucose absorption.